It is hardly surprising that aspiring students are increasingly choosing online preparation courses for becoming competitive exams like GMAT, GRE, CAT, IIT etc. It has enabled learners log into effectively structured sessions from remote corners of the world anytime and structure the pace of learning while also seeking one-on-one guidance. What are the factors that one needs to consider while choosing an online preparation course? Listed below are 5 key factors to be considered:
1. Check the fundamental course ideology: The devil is in the details, in this case the GMAT preparation online course fundamentals – its syllabus structure. Does the GMAT preparation online course place importance on the basic fundamentals of the subject and revisit it? The importance of accounting for different learning capabilities and accordingly structuring the curriculum of the online preparation course rather than just covering key points can not be stressed enough.Is the faculty ready to step out of the rigidity of a curriculum and be constantly accessible to the student while revisiting concepts?
2. Where is the Learner in this ?: It is important to assign significant weightage to the learner and his needs apart from carving a fundamentally strong curriculum for any GMAT preparation online course. GMAT aspirant, Elizabeth (names changed) was weaker in verbal ability and stronger at quantitative. Having found coaching classes where students were bundled into large groups, inefficient, he managed for one-on-one sessions in verbal ability with a leading GMAT online preparation portal. “I had a twelve hour work shift and apart from attending the coaching classes on the weekend and setting time as to study, pursuing a preparation course was difficult or so I thought, until I came across this online preparatory portal that helped me take sessions at 12 am ”
3. Faculty's level of expertise in the application of knowledge: If the course is the chariot, the faculty is the driver (you, of course, are the warrior!). It becomes imperative to check the credibility and expertise of the faculty of the GMAT preparation online course. Have not known known teachers who although extremely well qualified, make terrible presenters; while on the other hand some relative novice zips in with bundles of energy and an innovative way to present concepts. Keep an eye on the innovative teaching strategies publicized on the portal, accessibility etc. Check the hiring policies of the course portal; also, reviews, testaments and profiles on social networking sites.
4. Result Oriented: Although it is one of the basic principles of any education course it is surprising how often it is overlooked. There are some key factors that need to be accounted for to evaluate learning outcomes. Why have they enrolled for the GMAT preparation online course? Where does their expertise lie and what strengths can be honed? How much importance is paid to student feedback?
5. Value and Credibility – two sides of the same coin: Although an online preparation course must be highly value driven, the course fees clearly indicate the efficiency of the course. Apart from faculty profile check if the portal interviews internal quality assessments; check for accreditation's, reviews / testimonials, community forums, blogs, networking sites etc. Credibility and value are inextricably linked. A value-driven GMAT preparation online portal would severely be shy of publishing testimonials or its best practices on its website for the credibility it generates.
Still boils down to a couple or more choices? Trust the gut! Remember, it's you who are the warrior. Just be self-assured of the knowledge you bring to the battlefield – of yourself and for winning the war!