For the new generation or 'digital natives' as they are called, technology is not something to be tolerated but a way of life. In fact, life would be unimaginable without conveniences of the Internet or smartphones to these netizens. It is this level of interest and involvement that educatorsists can take advantage of and channelized to the advantage of both the student and teacher. Using technology innovatively can engage and motivate at the same time.
If you as a tutor, teacher or even parent have wondered how you can use this seemingly addictive pre-occupation with technology, it's not difficult to do. There is a plethora of learning resources and tools on the Internet, many of which will address your specific need. All of these tools can be used in 3 basic ways:
- Virtual / online learning : This basically refers to a virtual classroom where students can connect with tutors and learners through the Internet, effectively overcoming distance barriers.
- Blended learning : This form of learning is a mix of both, virtual and face to face learning. Educationists can employ this method to take advantage of the time students spend outside school.
- Open learning resources : These refer to any form of study material available on the web. It could range from pod-casts to games, e-books to digital libraries and learning apps.
Why we should do this, you may ask. Here are a few of the many benefits:
- Easily available and accessible : Any study material shared over the web is easily available to all students who in turn can access it at a later point when and if needed.
- Individualised approach : Another advantage of adopting this approach is that learners get an opportunity to learn at their own pace. The system is flexible enough to accommodate different learning styles and speeds.
- Grading and analysis : This is a boon to both, tutors and learners. While tutors can escape manually grading the student by implementing screening tools, learners get the chance to immediately analyze their performance on the basis of their grades and work on their weaknesses.
- Overcoming distance : Virtual learning and open learning resources have efficacious jumped over the distance hurdle by making it possible for learners to connect with learning resources from the comfort of their homes.
- Broadening scope of learning : The most obvious of all benefits is the fact that technology has significantly expanded the scope of learning. It is no longer limited to what goes on in the classroom.